According to the Pew Research Center, approximately 69% of Americans use Facebook. Of this group, 70% visit the site at least daily, but that doesn’t mean they’re seeing your content. It’s not enough to simply be present on social media. You must ensure your target audience sees and reads your content to get the highest engagement levels.
The organic reach of a Facebook post is just 5.2% of a Page’s likes. So if you want assurance that your content is getting in front of your ideal patients, paid healthcare advertising on Facebook is a must.
Follow this guide to start your Facebook social media marketing campaign.
12 steps to create a healthcare advertising campaign on Facebook
1. Set an objective
Facebook ads can accomplish various objectives, so decide what you want from your experience. First, you’ll choose from three main categories:
- Awareness: Create a buzz for your practice.
- Consideration: Get on patients’ radars, so they start researching your practice.
- Conversion: Inspire patients interested in your practice to schedule an appointment.
After settling on the objective for your online advertising campaign, you’ll get asked for more specifics. For example, if you’re an OB-GYN seeking patient consideration, your objective might be to drive traffic to your practice website.
Each objective includes multiple subcategories to choose from, allowing you to zero in on your target patient base.
If awareness is your desired objective, you’ll choose from the following:
- Brand awareness: Reach people most likely interested in your ads while increasing brand awareness.
- Reach: Maximize the number of people who see your ad.
If consideration is your desired objective, you’ll choose from the following:
- Traffic: Send more people to a destination on or off Facebook (i.e., your website or a Messenger chat).
- Engagement: Encourage more patients to view and engage with your post (i.e., comment, share, or like).
- Video views: Publicize videos that raise awareness about your brand (i.e., a tour of your office or customer testimonials).
- Lead generation: Gather lead information from patients interested in your practice.
- Messages: Encourage patients to start a conversation with your practice in Messenger.
If conversion is your desired objective, you’ll choose from the following:
- Conversions: Get patients to take action (i.e., schedule an appointment on your website).
- Store traffic: Drive traffic to your practice by displaying ads to patients physically near the building.
2. Create an ad account
Get your Facebook ad account active and running by entering basic information like your country, currency, and time zone. For example, if you’re an OB-GYN in Los Angeles, you would set your account country as the United States, currency as U.S. dollars, and time zone as Los Angeles.
3. Choose where you want to drive traffic
Decide where your Facebook ad campaign will take people who click on it. For example, you might want to drive traffic to your practice website.
4. Enable or disable dynamic creative
Facebook allows you to turn on its dynamic creative feature. If used, you’ll provide individual assets — images, videos, headlines, descriptions, and calls-to-action — that will automatically serve up optimized combinations to your audience.
5. Decide if you want to create an offer
If you create an offer people can save and get reminders about, Facebook allows you to turn on this feature. For example, everyone doesn’t have insurance, so an OB-GYN might create an offer for a $99 annual exam.
You might like: Do Groupons attract new patients?
6. Set your audience
Deciding who you want your healthcare social media campaign to reach is critical. Facebook allows you to get specific by targeting people in a particular geographic region, age range, gender, and who speak a certain language.
You can also get more detailed by including targeting criteria based on users’ demographics, interests, and behaviors. Additionally, you can tailor your audience by connections (i.e., only show your ads to friends of people who like your page).
For example, an OB-GYN in Los Angeles might limit their audience to women ages 18 to 65 who live within 25 miles of the city.
7. Choose your placements
Finding success in social media as a healthcare professional is all about getting in front of the right people at the right time. Facebook offers an automatic placement option or allows you to choose where you want to show your ad.
8. Create a budget and schedule
Next, you’ll need to decide how much you want to spend on your healthcare advertising initiative and where you want your ads to appear. Choose how you want Facebook to deliver ads to your audience — i.e., landing page views, link clicks, unique daily reach, or impressions — based on your campaign goals.
You’ll need to set a daily budget for your campaign. You can enable an optional cost control feature limiting the average cost per click to a certain amount if you want. For scheduling, opt to start it today or set a start and end date.
9. Select your identity
Your practice Facebook page, or Instagram account will represent your business in ads. Choose which one you want to use or create an account if you don’t already have one.
10. Choose your ad format
You’re able to select the format of your Facebook ad. Choose a carousel style, single image, video, or collection.
11. Select media
Choose the image(s), video, or slideshow to display in your ad. For example, an OB-GYN might opt for a video of themselves introducing their practice and the services offered.
12. Insert text and links
The final step in the process is writing the text and preparing the links for your ad. Choose a website or Facebook event for your link type.
Craft text that tells your audience what you’re promoting. For example, an OB-GYN might write, “Schedule an annual exam today.” Next, you’ll input the URL of the website you’re promoting. You’ll then create a headline that’s 40 characters or less.
Choose a call-to-action from a dropdown list (i.e., “Learn More”). Finally, there’s an option to create the ad in multiple languages if you desire. After completing this step, you’ll click “Confirm” on the bottom of the page to complete your ad.
Healthcare advertising is a must if you want to get noticed on Facebook. This is a great way to reach your patient base without breaking your marketing budget.
What should you do next?
- Schedule a free PatientPop demo.
- Measure your online performance using our free scanner.
- Check out this Intro to social media sponsored content for healthcare practices